Free cookie consent management tool by TermsFeed


The theoretical basis of liposuction is that after puberty fat cells do not increase significantly in number, only their volume changes. This volume change, however, can be enormous. The easiest way to picture this change is to consider one fat cell being as big as a table-tennis ball. In ratio to this a fat cell in the corpulent area could swell as big as a balloon.

In liposuction we remove about the 70% of the fat cells. The remaining 30% of the fat cells are swollen (ballooned), so they can hardly increase in size further, as a result fat tissue in this area will not expand as much as in other parts of the body. Although, if there is a very high intake of fat, there can be further deposition and the cells will expand.

Through the surgery we introduce a metal canal under the skin into the fat tissue. The end of this canal is blunt and it has 3 oval openings on the end. The other end is connected to vacuum through a pipe. Fat cells among the connective tissue are loosened with the blunt end of the canal, and the fat is suctioned off by vacuum without damaging the main veins and nerves. The small incision is closed with a fine suture, which is removed a week later.

The patient must constantly wear a special compression suit after the surgery for 3-4 weeks. He or she must not take it off even when having a shower. This material is breathable, and it can be dried by a hair drier after having a shower. From the 4th – 5th week, wearing the suit at night is not necessary and it can be gradually stopped.

In the 1st – 2nd week the operated area swells and sometimes haematomas (blue spots) are visible. The swelling slowly disappears, and we can see a desired result after 1-2 months. We must wait for the final result for half a year because some changes may still occur (the changes of the last months are really minor).

As in every surgical intervention, here also complications can occur. The possibility of these is 2-3%.

The most serious complication is inflammation; from a little flush (disappearing in few days) to serious inflammation which may result in the need to re-open the area to remove mucus. This means widening the incision by about 10 cm, or opening the skin somewhere else. Bleeding may also occur, causing haematoma. This can also be a cause of inflammation.

The sensitivity of the treated area can decrease, usually it is temporary, but in exceptional cases it can become permanent. Skin may discolour; it may become a shade darker than the surrounding area and the skin over the operated area may adhere roughly, causing dents on its surface.